Win 1 of 5 Signed Copies of Violin Virtuoso Joshua Bell's New Album: "Butterfly Lovers"
Released on Sony Music, the GRAMMY Award-winning violinist performs with the Singapore Chinese Orchestra and conductor Tsung Yeh
This week, The Violin Channel is giving away five personally autographed copies of VC Artist Joshua Bell's album, "Butterfly Lovers."
Joshua Bell's newest album features Chen Gang and He Zhanhao’s Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto, Sarasate’s Ziguenerweisen, Saint-Saëns’s Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, and Massenet’s “Méditation” from Thaïs.
Recorded with the Singapore Chinese Orchestra and conductor Tsung Yeh, all the works on the recording have been adapted for solo violin with an ensemble of traditional Chinese instruments.
To purchase and listen to the album, click here.
“I’m thrilled to have worked with the incredible Singapore Chinese Orchestra and Maestro Tsung Yeh on this recording,” Bell said.
Bell and Yeh first performed together in 1989 — at the outset of Bell’s now almost four-decade career, following Yeh’s appointment as music director of Indiana’s South Bend Symphony Orchestra. Bell was the soloist for one of Yeh’s very first concerts.
“It was a joy to collaborate with the SCO musicians, who brought this work to life through the expressive sounds of the traditional Chinese instruments,” Bell continued. “[And including] three classics of the violin repertoire from 19th-century Europe [makes this] a truly multicultural project.”
As the mainstay of the album, the Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto was written in 1959 by Chen Gang and He Zhanhao. In seven movements, the work recounts the ancient Chinese legend of the youthful “butterfly lovers,” a story with “themes of romance, star-crossed lovers, and friendship,” Bell explained.
On this album, Bell performs an adaptation of the piece made by Yang Hui Chang and Ku Lap-Man for an orchestra of traditional instruments. The original version of the concerto was scored for a full Western symphonic orchestra.
“Joshua has brought his own unique interpretation to this world-famous masterwork,” Yeh added. “[This collaboration has been] a beautiful and emotional musical journey. My favorite parts of this recording are the more soulful, soft passage. I can actually hear the sighing and sobbing from [Bell’s] violin.”
“As an American, I feel so privileged to have been given this opportunity,” Bell said on creating the album. “I find it fitting that we have recorded this in Singapore, a historically important setting that bridges East and West.”
Entries close on Monday, August 7, 2023.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter is: Feed Media Pty Ltd Trading as The Violin Channel LLC.
2. Employees of The Violin Channel or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. The closing date for entry will be 11:59 PM August 7, 2023 (New York Time). After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
5. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
6. All incomplete entries will be disregarded and not eligible for entry.
7. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
8. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. Winners will be chosen at random using randomization software.
11. The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Violin Channel LLC and not to any other party.