VC GIVEAWAY | Win 1 of 5 Signed Copies of Cellist Alisa Weilerstein's "Beethoven Cello Sonatas" CD
Released on the Pentatone label, the disc features Weilerstein and her longtime recital partner, pianist Inon Barnatan
In their newest album, cellist Alisa Weilerstein and pianist Inon Barnatan perform Beethoven's five cello sonatas — works that have been a consistent part of the duo's performance repertoire since 2008.
Composed over a span of two decades, Beetvhoen's cello sonatas give an inside look into the composer's development.
“Diving into the formidable project of recording these touchstone works with Inon, especially at such a fragile, chaotic time, was an immensely rewarding experience," Weilerstein explains. "I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to go on this unique adventure with such a wonderful partner and friend, and I invite you to join us in our celebration of this profoundly moving music."
Weilerstein and Barnatan are longtime collaborators, recording their first album together of cello sonatas by Rachmaninov and Chopin in 2015. Most recently, Weilerstein appeared on Barnatan’s 2019 recording of Beethoven’s Triple Concerto, part of his complete set of Beethoven concertos on Pentatone.
Their newest album was digitally released earlier this month and can be found here. The physical album will be released in June.
“As we move toward the third sonata and beyond, the cello and piano become … truly equal partners," Barnatan said. "This equal partnership is a central aspect of how Alisa and I make music together, and all five sonatas have been a part of our musical journey together from the very beginning. We love their beauty, their sense of adventure, and the way they communicate directly but with intricacy and complexity.”
Entries close on Sunday, August 21, 2022.
Alongside this new Beethoven release, cellist Alisa Weilerstein recently announced her new performance project, "Fragments," a multi-sensory solo cello project that weaves together the 36 movements of Bach’s solo cello suites with 27 new commissions.
The music, both old and new, has been divided into six one-hour “chapters.” Weilerstein conceives of these chapters as through-running experiences with no breaks for applause, program notes, or pauses of any kind.
The composers involved in the project range in age between 26 and 83, and come from a diverse range of nationalities and styles. In particular, Weilerstein aimed to uncover and promote lesser-known composers, showcasing their work alongside that of composers who are already household names.
COMPETITION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. The promoter is: Feed Media Pty Ltd Trading as The Violin Channel LLC.
2. Employees of The Violin Channel or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
3. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
4. The closing date for entry will be 11:59 PM August 21, 2022 (New York Time). After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
5. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
6. All incomplete entries will be disregarded and not eligible for entry.
7. The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
8. The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
9. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
10. Winners will be chosen at random using randomization software.
11. The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
12. The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
13. By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
16. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, or any other Social Network. You are providing your information to The Violin Channel LLC and not to any other party.